Sculptor Daniel Chester French, who was only in his early 20's and lived in Concord, designed a statue of a Minute Man to be placed on the west side of the reconstructed Concord Bridge. This statue was French's first important work as an artist. It is cast in bronze from ten brass cannon that had been used in the Civil War. The base of the statue is granite which came from the nearby town of Westford. On the base of the statue is the first stanza of a poem, "The Concord Hymn," written by Ralph Waldo Emerson. On April 19, 1875, President Ulysses S. Grant and about 10,000 other people attended the dedication of the statue and the bridge.
The Minuteman Statue on the Lexington Battle Green is the work of Boston sculptor Henry Hudson Kitson. It was built and placed on the Green in 1900 The statue represents Captain John Parker, leader of the Colonial Militiamen. The statue is mounted on boulders from the wall that the Americans used as a defensive position on the day of the battle. The Minuteman is on the eastern point of the Green, where he would be facing Major Pitcairn's forces when they marched towards the Green.
The Minute Man became a symbol of America's readiness to fight to preserve its liberties. During World War II, people all over the United States became familiar with the Concord statue when it was used on posters to encourage Americans to support the war effort