PILOT OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS (Page 5 of 16 pages)
3. With the generator switch ON, check the voltmeter .for approximately 28 volts and the ammeter for charge. Leave the generator ON.
4. Move the inter-cooler flap controls to OPEN and check operation of the turbo-chargers. by opening throttles individually to take-off power.
Do not operate engines at take-off power for more than two or three seconds while on the ground.
e. Tvpe A-4 Automatic Pilot
4. TURN AUTOMATIC PILOT CONTROL VALVE OFF BEFORE TAKE-OFF
a. Check the following: -
1. Top hatch - LOCKED IN PLACE. Side windows - cranked CLOSED. Side window ratchets - ON.
NOTE: Open side windows will cause buffeting of the tail section.
2. Propeller levers INC RPM (Full-forward)
3. Propeller selector switches AUTO CONSTANT SPEED.
4. Mixture - AUTO RICH.
5. Tank selector valves RESERVE ON.
6. Dive flaps UP.
7. Wing flaps – UP wing flap lever CLOSED. Up to 1/2 flaps may be used for short take-off run.
8. Flight controls free and proper movement.
NOTE: Look at the surfaces for this check to see that they move in the right direction.
9. Aileron control booster ON.
10. Inter-cooler flaps OPEN (if installed)
11. Droppable tanks prepared for immediate dropping.
12. Electric fuel pumps - ON
13. Rudder, elevator and aileron tabs - ZERO.
This material is courtesy of Stan Wood WW2 P-38 Pilot in the Pacific.
More about Stan Wood and his P-38 experiances: Click Here